Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Symbol of power questions.

Your Prodigy pack
    EARLY SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    Quote Originally Posted by StromIV View Post

The only problem I really see with all of this is someone spoofing another players ID and messing with their account if they can even have a remote possibility of it. So I know they can't discuss what security measures they will try and implement to prevent that, or what can be done to prevent it, but I wouldn't mind some update about the security going in place to prevent hijacking other player IDs if all that is controlling it in the first place is a symbol of power. A concern that might not even be one depending on how all the tech works and interacts with each other.
    1 - How would they know your ID if they don't get access to the NFC chip itself?

2 - If they want to add security have it so you have to move your symbol of power in a certain pattern similar to what phones can do.

Your Prodigy pack

Quote Originally Posted by Lambadelta View Post
    1 - How would they know your ID if they don't get access to the NFC chip itself?

2 - If they want to add security have it so you have to move your symbol of power in a certain pattern similar to what phones can do.
    2 is a good idea. Definitely would be possible with the 12 different NFC chip in the board.

Though for 1, I am sure that when you first start the game you will have to set up some sort of player ID, if not for multiplayer play, for recordkeeping. It technically could be possible to alter your own NFC tag (this being rather difficult if not impossible and really too much work) in order to randomly grab at someone else's since a player's specific NFC tag will likely not be shown anywhere at all.

So as long as no one hacks the server database where all your information is stored (and I imagine much security will be placed here), it should be difficult. And not to mention adding some sort of swiping path or card sequence password would likely make even the little possibility even more impossible.
    Never stop. The future is always waiting and progressing. If you keep looking at the past, you will never see the opportunities that may pass by you.

Your Prodigy pack
    Well, I am hoping for offline data saving also. That way the unique ID for the chip could access that. The problem with that method though is I believe they want all data to be used for single player and multiplayer. Then it comes down to what security do they have implemented to check to make sure offline data isn't tampered with when you log on to play some multiplayer matches. But yes, I do see the need for offline data saving also. Sometimes the internet goes out and you still want to play. An online only method of playing (DRM basically) can ruin the experience for a lot of people (Looks at Sim City and D3 launch...).

I say that because they want to implement leveling and xp gain through multiplayer also. At least, that is what I think I read. Might have to go back over all the details they have released again. Hmm...
    J'utilise Google Translate, donc j'espère que mes commentaires ne sont pas trop mauvais en français.

Your Prodigy pack
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambadelta View Post

Truthfully, I don't know. I don't know much about the chips and accessing IDs. I am not a hacker, but where there is a will there is a way. How difficult it is is unknown to me. It is just something I think can happen, which is why I mentioned it.

And I like option 2. Sort of like the touchscreen login methods I have seen for phones.

Edit: Really, I am just throwing out possible security risks. I don't know if they are possible, or how hard it will be to take advantage of it. I am just bringing attention to things that could happen, and hopefully see steps implemented to stop any hacking/cheating. But like I mentioned, where there is a will there is a way, and I don't know much about it.
    Last edited by StromIV; 05-05-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    J'utilise Google Translate, donc j'espère que mes commentaires ne sont pas trop mauvais en français.

Your Prodigy pack

I agree. Sometimes I find myself in a place with terrible connection or none at all. And games like D3 make it impossible to enjoy it otherwise. Though thinking about it, why couldn't the board hold the main story, character, etc. data? The ring itself will not be able to hold any data, and can only contain an NFC chip that is read through an induction-like process. Storing data on the symbol would require it to have a power supply (power supply = obnoxiously bulky and inconvenient). The symbol, in my mind, is like a specialized log-in piece, like a user ID. And this can be complemented with some password-like system for online play or whatever.

Point being, why not store things like character and quest data on the board (since immense amounts of data can be stored in small places). That way, players don't have to access an online server just to play by themselves anyway. And then, if you happen to lose your symbol you didn't lose all your save data; you would only have to have a new NFC tag matched to your user ID.
    Never stop. The future is always waiting and progressing. If you keep looking at the past, you will never see the opportunities that may pass by you.

Your Prodigy pack
    I guess it would come down to having multiple places to store data. The computer for offline play, and the server for online play might be the better places to store it. Could be stored on the board also. The more places it is held the better it would be in case something happened to any of it. If stored on just the board, and something happened to it, there would have to be some way to transfer the data to another medium.

I almost wouldn't mind if they had some type of card reader for things like SDHC cards that you could use to help store data built into the board. Wouldn't be a required thing to use, but something that made it possible to save the data to it, and transfer the data to another device if needed. Sort of a backup ability built into the board itself if they went the way of just saving all the data to the board. It should be the only way to backup the data, but just another possible way.

It could also be used for other methods outside of just backing it up. So, you have a friend that bought the 17 pack and another board. You want to visit him and play a few matches against him. No need to bring your board, you could just bring the SDHC card and pop it into their second board to do a temp load of data for you to play using your profile. It would then save that data to the card, and when you go back home you could update the data from the card to your board.

Just throwing out ideas. Might not be possible or practical to implement something like that, but it could be an option.

^ storing data does not mean the power supply must be built into the ring/symbol. Boards can also be broken, although it is definitely a good idea, it still gives a chance for an accident to ruin your save data for good.

An idea to share; perhaps the ring/symbol of power could hold the data(like usb), whilst on the server, a backup, simplified version of your personal data could also be stored. Offline play would still be possible, with your online data updated only when you have actually access to the internet.
    Thus, even if you lost/broke/corrupted your symbol/ring, the simplified online backup data would still be preserved. Should the server data be somehow compromised, your symbol would still be able to provide restoration backup as well.
    A password system wouldn't be needed then, except perhaps only to access your online data in order to update a replaced symbol/ring of power/figure/whatever.

Your Prodigy pack

I believe that holding data on the symbol had been brought up in an earlier post. The problem that can come from that is that NFC tags themselves cannot hold vast amounts of data. Even if there were a built in storage, it would not be able to process the data at all <-- this requires power. Modern NFC tags you will see can only hold perhaps 1kb or less of data(though Hanakai Studios may have developed a better technology for it, who knows?). I know for me, I would like to see massive amounts of game content; which unfortunately will take more than 1kb of space (imagine with the kingdom mode implementation).

You do bring up a good point. A memory card is a memory card and is susceptible to loss or damage. Therefore, multiple backups are nice and necessary. Having the system do a quick upload of your profile and progress change at the moment it does start with internet connection, would be efficient, since you aren't massively uploading data; you are just uploading what has changed since the last update of data.

I really do hope that other uses of the symbol of power come to fruition. This object is a wonderful idea and I'd love to see it expand. And I think being able to essentially "log-in" to your account on another board could be useful and not really a painstaking task at all. Though you would need access to wherever your game data is stored.

Your Prodigy pack
    Hmm... I am trying to think of other things that the symbol of power can be used in game. Maybe to give it some purpose besides loading up our profile. Can't think of anything off the top of my head though. So I guess the question would be, can anyone think of something that would give it more of a purpose in game? Mainly the single player aspect, as multiplayer will just be matches and possibly lobby chatting.

Your Prodigy pack
    JACK OF ALL TRADES PACK
    I that the symbol of power, it's just a link or pasword fto your account, who could be in you hard drive and/or in a server, with that you can be able to use your company in any computer conected to the network, this is especially good thinking on tournaments.

The other way is that your that is saved on the NFC board in a flash drive, that can't be too much expensive.