Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Symbol of power questions.

Your Prodigy pack
    DELUXE ART PACK

Question Symbol of power questions.

Hi, I'm new to the forums but have been watching the kickstarter and of course the various videos online.

I watched the live stream from the other day and noticed that for the symbol of power you were using a sort of token with an emblem on it, sort of like the one that can be custom created on the kickstarter page for the 10k backer. (Apologies if I'm incorrect)

My questions were, are you still planning on using the rings?,
    will they have unique designs on them for each of the factions?
    Will there be special edition rings/symbols of power that could be purchased and the data from old symbols moved across using the NFC technology in the board to facilitate this?
    Are the rings used at the end of the match to update your progress for your unique account and skills etc..

I know that this is a lot of questions very early in the development of the game, and I am loving everything I have seen so far.

If any of these have been covered already and you happen to have a forum link available feel free to post it below.

Your Prodigy pack
    EARLY SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    About rings. They say there are issues with rings due to different ring sizes, and NFC chips not liking being bent into a ring like shape. They are considering sending a ring + another type of symbol of power to Alpha testers for their feedback.

I believe each company has a different style of symbol of power (I'm not 100% sure but don't quote me on it)

There might be special edition symbols with special company packages, but I am unsure about how they would do a transfer.

Can't answer the last one since they have never mentioned it.

Your Prodigy pack
    Well, Lambadelta answered some of your questions. I will try to answer some of them to.

No word has gone out about different companies using a different Symbol of Power. It was originally just a ring, but because of different sizes like mentioned they are looking into alternatives - ie. the amulet or something like a bracelet or maybe even some way rings can work out. It is still in the design phase, and no new word has gone out about that yet.

Besides anything custom, nothing else has been mentioned on multiple designs and getting different ones. But, when I asked about it, they did mention that the data for the ring will be stored server side so that if something happened to it you could get it replaced. So, with that in mind, I don't see any reason that if they do eventually offer different designs for you to purchase that you couldn't purchase one and get your data transferred to the new one.

And yeah, no idea how the data is refreshed onto the symbol of power after data changes. Most likely, it isn't stored directly on there, but either on your computer or on the server, and the ring is just an indicator that when used produces a unique number that matches it to that data and it is then loaded for use. Can't remember if the ring stores or even can store all of the user data. And don't forget, the figurines themselves I believe are supposed to store their own data for things like experience, progress in the story mode, and skills I believe.
    J'utilise Google Translate, donc j'espŔre que mes commentaires ne sont pas trop mauvais en franšais.

Your Prodigy pack

Quote Originally Posted by StromIV View Post
    And yeah, no idea how the data is refreshed onto the symbol of power after data changes. Most likely, it isn't stored directly on there, but either on your computer or on the server, and the ring is just an indicator that when used produces a unique number that matches it to that data and it is then loaded for use. Can't remember if the ring stores or even can store all of the user data. And don't forget, the figurines themselves I believe are supposed to store their own data for things like experience, progress in the story mode, and skills I believe.
    Loooooots of data can be stored on modern day chips, so it isn't impossible to store the player's profile and save data; especially considering that the character chips hold the entire character profile, skills, story, animations, sidequests, etc... Definitely possible.

Having a choice of different types of symbols of power? Definitely like. That way they could appeal to personal taste with bracelet, ring, amulet, etc. format of it. Would be a nice touch.
    Never stop. The future is always waiting and progressing. If you keep looking at the past, you will never see the opportunities that may pass by you.

Your Prodigy pack
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexaros View Post
    Loooooots of data can be stored on modern day chips, so it isn't impossible to store the player's profile and save data; especially considering that the character chips hold the entire character profile, skills, story, animations, sidequests, etc... Definitely possible.

Having a choice of different types of symbols of power? Definitely like. That way they could appeal to personal taste with bracelet, ring, amulet, etc. format of it. Would be a nice touch.
    Yeah, I don't really know what the chips can and can't hold, or what they are really meant to hold. The only thing I see as being a problem with the symbol of power is that it isn't really updated automatically like the figurines because it isn't on the board and interfacing with it directly as it is played. So, either the data has to be saved by swiping the ring after every turn to keep it up to date, or it is stored computer side and then updated to the ring before the game is shut off. Hopefully someone didn't forget to swipe it again before exiting the game.

That is just a guess. I hope Hanakai could come on here and give some more information about how the symbol of power will stay updated. If it really even has to.

Here are my thoughts on it. The symbol of power really only holds your unique player ID, because that is all that it has to hold. The other information is either stored computer and server side, and is accessed by swiping the symbol of power over the board which allows the player ID to interact with the data. The other information is directly held on the figurine in question. But I can't really say.

The only problem I really see with all of this is someone spoofing another players ID and messing with their account if they can even have a remote possibility of it. So I know they can't discuss what security measures they will try and implement to prevent that, or what can be done to prevent it, but I wouldn't mind some update about the security going in place to prevent hijacking other player IDs if all that is controlling it in the first place is a symbol of power. A concern that might not even be one depending on how all the tech works and interacts with each other.

And yes, I would love to see different symbols of power offered. If data is stored server side like they mentioned it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to offer different designs and just transfer the data to a new symbol of power.
    J'utilise Google Translate, donc j'espŔre que mes commentaires ne sont pas trop mauvais en franšais.

Your Prodigy pack
    EARLY STORM PACK
    That is a good question, I was wondering about ring sizes since I have a mean case of sausage fingers, I mean I could wear it as a bitchin' pinky ring, but I'd much rather have one my size.

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    Why dont just use a simple rubber band as a Ring with a square like gem on it which contains the NFC Chip? The Gem will be solit and you wont have the problem to bend the NFC at all and the rubber band fixes the problem with finger sizes
    Last edited by Darkreaver1980; 05-05-2014 at 08:10 AM.

cause it looks cheap ^^

A decorated medal, an imperial medallion, one of those fancy royal seal/heirloom thingies, maybe if you're desperate enough, a unique coin/token... so many potential ideas on how to develop an alternative symbol of power. Just my two cents worth.

Your Prodigy pack

Quote Originally Posted by StromIV View Post
    Here are my thoughts on it. The symbol of power really only holds your unique player ID, because that is all that it has to hold. The other information is either stored computer and server side, and is accessed by swiping the symbol of power over the board which allows the player ID to interact with the data. The other information is directly held on the figurine in question. But I can't really say.

The only problem I really see with all of this is someone spoofing another players ID and messing with their account if they can even have a remote possibility of it. So I know they can't discuss what security measures they will try and implement to prevent that, or what can be done to prevent it, but I wouldn't mind some update about the security going in place to prevent hijacking other player IDs if all that is controlling it in the first place is a symbol of power. A concern that might not even be one depending on how all the tech works and interacts with each other.
    That idea actually is really great. Having less information stored on the symbol would be an effective way to solve the whole issue really. Hypothetically, we store only the player ID, which is absolutely unique since every NFC chip has its own signature (So that somewhat fills in for security somewhat since no two symbols could ever have the same ID) and has a player name attached to it with which the player longs in with a swipe at the start of the game.

Here, there lies a problem though. If it were to made so that it would simply contact the server for all of your game information, then this game would constantly require an internet connection, even for solo things. Other than that snag, as you essentially went to "save" your game, like in most games, you would select the option and then swipe your ring as activation (an update to the server is really only necessary after a big change so like after you complete a battle or something)

Though I would like to play the game offline, it would likely be more convenient for the developers if it were otherwise, so I can live with that.

Just a thought, since we have to pretty much "log-in" with our symbols of power couldn't we consider that the username and have a sequence of arcana card combinations be a 6-8 "digit" password?
    Never stop. The future is always waiting and progressing. If you keep looking at the past, you will never see the opportunities that may pass by you.