Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Balancing Regarding Miniatures

Game Balancing Regarding Miniatures

I know this is a topic that has been lightly touched upon, but I am very curious to know more. From what I gathered, players can use a little or as many miniatures on the play field (max of 12 spaces) as they desire, obviously the more figures you use, the less options for movement. It has been said that there will be a match making system to "balance" players, but seemed to be based off levels, not number of miniatures.

My concern; what is balancing the game from a player who was matched up with an opponent of roughly same level who plays more miniatures on the field? They would gain more turns, more opportunities to attack. We saw this example during live stream where it was a 3 v 2 and was claimed it was tough to win with two.

Again, I'm not fully aware of your systems to combat this, but as a game developer myself and as someone who has been in the miniatures hobby most my life, I just have my concerns regarding balance.

That being said, ever consider a point-based system? Much akin to some RPG's or war games (Warhammer, Warmachine, etc) where point values are assigned to each character and players are allowed a fixed amount to spend per match.

Just my thoughts, love to hear from you guys on the matter. Cheers!

Your Prodigy pack
    EARLY SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    I believe the latest update #18 from Hanakai will give you a little insights on the dev team's effort to make this game as balanced as it can be. The topic was lightly touched due to the fact that the game is still in early pre-alpha. As for the scenario of 3v2, it was for the demo purpose and would probably not happen given the game comes with minimum of 3 miniatures. As for using more characters, there are downside to it as well. Most evidently the restriction of movement, usage of skill and etc.

I am not sure if your point based system is suitable for prodigy. Given that prodigy is a turn based rather than realtime strategy.

Your Prodigy pack

To add to Optimus's post, I imagine that they will implement some sort of sorting or option for matchmaking that will have you choose your number of starting figures or somehow limit it. Also you have to take into account that there will also be a reinforcement concept in the game as well. The developers have mentioned that they will be working on a way to allow a player with few characters will be able to hold there own against a player with many characters.

Not to mention that they showed in the recent updates that having more characters means less chance to use special moves which are vital to strategic combat.
    Never stop. The future is always waiting and progressing. If you keep looking at the past, you will never see the opportunities that may pass by you.

Your Prodigy pack
    STILL QUITE EARLY SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    Unless more characters are added we will initially be limited to eight on a side (plus bosses). So I guess considering worst case of 3 vs 8. Will have to wait and see how rules change but at first glance Ill point out the main balance issue I see.

The player of eight has four up front that just block (limit damage) with watcher generating mana squares at the back of the board while only blocking aoe attacks. Meanwhile this is allowing time to set up a boss summon.

It does sound like there are balance points already in place though.
    Fry

Your Prodigy pack

I am sure there are strategies to work around such a thing. Take the Onosani and Zotra the Red characters. They are built to break down your strategy. So I imagine that it will come down to how the player uses the character, whether its the skill tree use or strategy on the board.
    Never stop. The future is always waiting and progressing. If you keep looking at the past, you will never see the opportunities that may pass by you.

Your Prodigy pack
    EARLY STORM PACK
    I was wondering the same since I only got the starter set, so I got a Hydra and hope that levels the playing field a bit.

Your Prodigy pack
    EARLY STORM PACK
    They stated earlier that you can have up to 7 figures a side. In other words 7 is the max at least for now. They may always change it.

Your Prodigy pack
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHero View Post
    They stated earlier that you can have up to 7 figures a side. In other words 7 is the max at least for now. They may always change it.
    Actually you can play up to 12 character per side(3x4 grid). The recommended is 6-8 though. Imagine playing 12 figurines, your characters cant move and will all just be sitting ducks waiting to be out maneuvered. Having said that, there are still tons of uncertainty as to what measures will be taken to make sure those with only the starter set(3 figurines) can hold their own against those with more figurines.

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN PACK
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There are still tons of uncertainty as to what measures will be taken to make sure those with only the starter set(3 figurines) can hold their own against those with more figurines.
    One of the thing, is that with lesser figs, you guardian have more turns, so you get to create more mana.
    And unless you play against a friend, there will be an auto-balance so that you play against a player that has aproximatively the same number of figs

Your Prodigy pack
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaal42 View Post
    One of the thing, is that with lesser figs, you guardian have more turns, so you get to create more mana.
    And unless you play against a friend, there will be an auto-balance so that you play against a player that has aproximatively the same number of figs
    I think it would need more than just guardian getting more turns and creating more mana to give a boost to those with lesser figurines. That being said, if we are paired to go against those with the same number of fig, wont we have to set our characters before matchmaking (don't quite understand how your idea)? Plus that would leave players with high number of fig facing each other often as there is only a handful of them (taking into account different timezone and playing time).