Thread: mana squares

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK

mana squares

So i got to watch the video on youtube the other day i had tried twitch but it was just taking ages anyway. i think some of these points are in general or in the news and was thinking maybe they should have there own thread in the gameplay folder

A few of the things that struck me were
    The number of squares being created
    there limitless power
    there animation
    and there locations

there seemed to be mana squares being handed out like candy by rota and a little less with toboro but still.

I find it a bit hard to swallow as a long time gamer that mana would be limitless i know its a trade of because it u sit on it you get attacked but 6 turns into the game and half the squares are covered.

the animations of the mana squares/circles are very ff very normal fantasy so i could be wrong but to me the idea is that the guardians are able to tap into the remaining mana on tharys. so i was thinking an idea for the animation would be to have the guardian at the end of the turn make some gesture and the land would crack and wisps of mana would seep out of the ground.

however i still don't think that the mana from these fissures should be limitless there are no points cost required as its not like Special Ability (SA) a costs x mana and SA b costs y mana so its more like all SA costs 1 and a fissure might contain 3 uses the most complicated i would go would be option 1 SA a costs 1 SA b costs 2 keep it simple option 2 1 use of mana disapates after a full game turn as in all characters have acted.

some characters who are more atuned to mana may even be able to draw on it from an adjacent square. the guardians will still be able to create mana fissures around the board based on the guardian heres hoping we see many more. but it would cost 1 pt of mana if the target area is not an adjacent square just to show more effort but this isn't ott as if the guardian is 2nd column 2nd row then only the 4th column is not adjacent.

so i have no problem with the current system of them being created every turn as long as they have limited uses

Thoughts??

Your Prodigy pack
    EARLY SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK

Just a reminder about the process for the mana (what we understood during the twich):
    For Thorns, the square pops under Toboro in the end of his turn, if there is already a mana square where he is, then it pops under Orin. For Storms, it pops under Rota as for Toboro, but if he is already on a mana square, then it will create another anywhere on the front line.

For everything else, I like your ideas but this is a whole new feature, they didn't make any animation or special ability regarding the mana because they just implemented the basic system here (by the way, we don't know if they plan to do some animation). edit : the old article about mana, indeed they plan to not consume the mana except for dissonance, so yeah I agree that the mana pops a little too fast, need to see more to be sure about that so, I don't know....

So, like always, I like talking about the concepts, but only globally, for the details (skills, animation) I personally prefer to wait the articles about it (which should explain what they really have in mind for the future) and the alpha to talk about improvements and skills ideas, I have some, but I let them make what they have in mind for their game and finish what they are still building, it is still too soon I think.
    Last edited by CHbox; 06-26-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    Thanks for the reply CHbox, I suppose my view is that the community should be the tip of the spear and not sitting shotgun and reacting. but that's just me. However, I'm not one of these ppl that gets all huffy if I don't see my suggestions come to pass. If our group ideas get added or modify there plans then that's a bonus for what it is.

Your Prodigy pack

Well, as I said, talking about macro concept like the mana consumption is ok I think, it's important to say now if we think the idea is good or bad, but coming with skills ideas or detailed animation is a little to soon in my opinion (my opinion is only my opinion ) because it is something they can change easilly afterward. I think it's better to focus on the macro for now and not going too far in the details, it's just that.

As I said, I really like your ideas, but the problem, for me, is that we don't even really know what Hanakai themselves have in mind for the details, we don't know half of the characters yet, we have a brief idea of their skills but it is only a small part as they want a good skill tree, we saw only a incomplete demo, so it's hard to be "the tip of the spear" when they only come with 2-3 updates by month and little visibility of their plan, this is why I prefer to wait the alpha or at least something like "ok guys, here is the final version (for now)" to go deeper in details.
    Last edited by CHbox; 06-26-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    fair points i just think detailed discussions on gameplay as we have seen it so far and how we as a comunity hope its going to go is both invigoration for the active participants of the forum and an insight for the developers about what the backers are expecting (not that the dev's should submit to our vision) that's why i didn't put this in the general discussion or suggestions as we are at least i hope to being the talk about how we think the game play will be affected by this new mana system and how characters might interact with such a system not in generic terms but in specific game play terms. but your right Meaghan might move this to suggestions as she may feel this isn't really related to game play as of yet

Your Prodigy pack

Clearly it's very cool to talk about the details, at least it makes the forum a little more active I think the part about the mana consumption and the speed it comes should be discuss in the suggestions indeed, we're probably not the only ones to be worried about this, the part about the details yeah it will be only for... mmmhh... how to say that, spread our mind? Maybe you could just take this parts from your post and make a new thread on suggestions? If the devs come here, it's very few I'm afraid, it's better if they see directly the suggestions. on an other side, create a thread about skills idea, regarding of the mana or not, could be a good way to make people share their mind

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    As per CHbox's suggestion i have created a new thread in the suggestions folder

http://prodigythegame.com/forums/sho...=5449#post5449

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN FOUNDER PACK
    ok so lets discus what we know about mana squares and game play you are going to get a defence debuff from a mana square which is interesting when the company of storms rota will create a mana square in the front row if he is standing on a mana sqaure at the end of his turn and the front row also has a defence debuff what kind of debuffs are we talking about here 10% or just straight up 100 pts off your def

Your Prodigy pack
    SEVENTEEN PACK
    There is an update about the buff/debuff/mana/disonnance squares on KS.
    I like the idead of having on effect per square, cause as as they said it would too much look like a disco dancefloor otherwise
    Last edited by Bhaal42; 06-26-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Your Prodigy pack

Definitely better, as I said on the suggestion thread (sorry Kaos, I'm afraid the thread is already obsolete :s ), without more info about the dissonance, I can't say if it would be really interesting/balanced to be able to remove/corrupt a mana square. So at this point, i guess I just have to wait, like always