Hello again! This will be our last DevBlog article for 2014, so we’re properly finishing to describe the story and skills of each starter set. Today, I will tell you more about the gameplay of Illis.
Here is the list of the narrative intentions for this character, and how they translate as gameplay:
- Illis is a basic companion.
- He has less abilities than Guardians and Watchers.
- He’s a swashbuckler.
- He mainly has offensive abilities.
- The majority of his abilities are hand-to-hand attacks.
- He has no ranged attacks.
- He is an aristocrat fencer. He inflicts considerable damage, but his endurance and his armor are rather average.
- He’s part of the Company of the Storm.
- One of his attacks must be a multi-hit ability.
- One of his attacks is linked to Bleeding.
- The members of this company have arcanas in common. Illis’ arcana is different from the duo Elon/Rota, so he must have an ability that plays with the notion of arcana.
- His manasteel sword allows him to weave time and manipulate the substance of reality.
- One of his abilities manipulates time.
- One of his abilities is linked to the use of mana.
- He’s got swag.
- His attacks must reflect his agility and his ease for combat. Illis must be easy to take in hand.
- His strategic options must be powerful but depend on certain prerequisites.
So, with this in mind, here are the alpha abilities for Illis:
- Mana Chop
- Illis runs to his opponent and draws a mystical sigil with Stellar. He cuts the mana links of the targeted character.
- This attack, which already inflicts important damage, receives a big damage bonus if its target is on a mana or dissonance square.
- This ability allows to punish a player that was greedy and too easily exposed a character on a mana square. Beware the backlash!
- If Illis survives until the late game, this is a particularly violent ability (the mana squares being more and more numerous towards the end game).
- Time Slip
- Illis draws a mana sigil around the ally directly in front of him. A flux of energy leaves the target character and reaches Illis.
- This ability has three effects:
- the ally gains an attack and armor piercing bonus
- the rank of the ally in the cycle of initiative changes: the ally plays right after the next opponent
- finally, Illis’ arcana changes to become the arcana of the targeted ally
- the three effects prepare a powerful doubled attack for the next turn of the ally: having changed his arcana and being on a mana square (necessarily), Illis is in a privileged situation to perform an affinity attack.
- Illis’ new arcana is a buff. It will stay as long as Illis’ status doesn’t change.
Note: this ability will be a pain to tweak. But we really want to develop it because it’s cool 🙂
- Mortal Double
- Illis looks for the weak points of his opponents, and launches a double attack into the breaks of their defense.
- Each of his hits is automatically a critical hit if the opponent is in a Bleeding state. If they are not Bleeding, the damages are quite weak.
- This ability follows a “all or nothing” dynamic. It is a powerful ability, but rather predictable.
Illis is associated to the Flow arcana. This affiliation is translated is his gameplay by the versatility of his abilities.
This concludes the year 2014 for our DevBlog! Tell us what you think about Illis’ skills and 3D model on our forums!
Our DevBlog will open again in January 2015. Until then, look forward for our Kickstarter Christmas update!